Wednesday 2 January 2019

High Elves pt.1: cobbling together an army list



I have no idea what I'm doing. I love the High Elves, I love their background but as far as the mechanics go I am going in completely blind here. I wanted an army list to work to but trial and error is very much going to be a thing here. The following is mainly based around units I have, units I definitely want and a strong feeling that magic and shooting are what I should be focusing on here:

Lords
Loremaster of Hoeth, great weapon and heavy armour. 230 points

Heroes
Mage, Level 2 Wizard. 120 points
Mage, Level 1 Wizard. 85 points
Lothern Sea Helm with spear, light armour, shield and Reaver Bow. 125 points

Core
20 Lothern Sea Guard, full command, spears, bows and shields. 270 points
5 Ellyrian Reavers, full command, spears and bows. 125 points
5 Ellyrian Reavers, full command, spears and bows. 125 points

Special
20 Swordmasters of Hoeth, full command. 290 points
10 Shadow Warriors with champion. 150 points
Lothern Skycutter with Eagle Eye bolt thrower. 120 points

Rare
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower. 70 points
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower. 70 points
Flamespyre Phoenix. 225 points

Total: 2005 points

The Loremaster of Hoeth is my general for no better reason than I really like the model and want to use it. He has a couple of Mages backing him up in the Magic Phase, though I don't know what lores I'll be going with just yet. Finally, character-wise, is a Lothern Sea Helm who I'll have spare after making the Skycutter.

Actually, Lothern units have turned out to be something of a theme of the army with the Sea Helm. Sea Guard, Skycutter and Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers. I just happen to like the looks of them, to be honest. I just don't like Archers and Spearmen, the models are very old and chunky so their more modern (and more heavily armed) Lothernii brethren made the cut. Similarly, I got a couple of units of Ellyrian Reavers cheap on eBay so that's the Core taken care of.

The Loremaster needs some friends to stand with so the Swordmasters were a natural inclusion. The Shadow Warriors are, again, just a unit I like and one that will let me take a break from painting white.

And, finally, a Phoenix. I want one. They look great.

Its quite elite by my standards with just over seventy models and only two ranked infantry units. I usually don't have this many ranged units, either, so that's a whole new play style to try out (and eventually fail at and just refocus the army on White Lions and Tiranoc Chariots if I know myself at all).

So, I've got the Loremaster undercoated and the Reavers halfway built, its time to clench my teeth and once again try to paint white.

1 comment:

Backtothehammer said...

The Loremaster is excellent both as a model and on the table. With his selection of spells, really consider giving him the book of Hoeth. As he’s only a level 2, he really benefits from it. It might be worth dropping one of the other mages to free up a few points