Thursday 9 November 2017

I would love to see Bendis' Superman


Now that Brian Michael Bendis is moving from Marvel to DC there's all sorts of speculation about what he'll be doing for them. This post isn't even on the level of reading tea leaves, its just flatly what I personally would love to see him write:

Superman. To be precise a full on, traditional set-up Superman. I know we've been getting closer and closer to that since Superman Reborn but what I mean is a series very focused on Metropolis, on Clark as a reporter with the full Daily Planet cast and, for preference, Lex Luthor as the man behind the curtain of half the things going on in the city. We know from Ultimate Spider-Man that Bendis can write a good newspaper setting and I would love to see what he could do with the more fantastic aspects of Metropolis that have sort of fallen by the wayside over the years.

Like I say this is just wishlisting and, ten to one, DC and Bendis already have plans far better and more interesting than this.

I just really hope he isn't going to be doing Batman. I can see the chain of logic: Bendis made a big splash with Daredevil back in the day, he works a lot on street level books and noir, but it just feels like it would be more of the same and the Bat books already have a bunch of innovative writers taking things in determinedly fascinating directions I'm not sure there's the creative real estate.

Having said all that though, it occurs to me that I'd love to see Bendis work on Outsiders. Whether a more traditional Batman-led version with the classic characters, the Nightwing-era cast or an all-new version cherrypicked from the list of obscure characters every comic writer has in their back pocket for when they get a kid in the candy store project.

Here's hoping. 

No comments: