Tuesday 31 January 2017

In Defense of Tartaros armour

I'm in two minds about the two Horus Heresy Terminator armour designs. On the one hand I like the designs but on the other the background purist in me insists there was only ever one mark of Terminator armour developed during the great crusade and used right up to the “present”.
But there is one thing about the Tartaros pattern, which I initially disliked, that really appeals to me. You see, the technical name of Terminator plate is Tactical Dreadnought Armour and, alone of the Terminator armour marks, Tartaros armour actually looks like a Dreadnought. The Contemptor Dreadnought, to be specific, which I am also rather a fan of.

For one thing it has legs that look like they actually work and it does resemble the Space Marine the occupant once was.
I have one of the plastic ones from the Calth box set which I intend to use for my Flesh Tearers army. It may seem a little ornate for them, a little antique, but I like the idea of them having their own version of Bjorn the Fell-Handed: one of Chapter-Master Amit's chief confidantes dating back to when he was Captain of the Blood Angels Legion 8th Company. With the Flesh Tearers dying, falling to the Black Rage in ever greater numbers, it makes a delightful sense to have one of the first generation around to witness the end.

Yes, its bleak but this is Warhammer 40,00 we're talking about.

Regardles of my little aside there, one of the other things I like about Tartaros pattern is that the anatomy actually works. I cannot for the life of me see how an actual person, even one with the enhanced physique of a Space Marine, can actually fit in traditional Terminator armour.

I just wish they'd get along and release them as a separate kit as they did with the Calth kits. I want Tartaros Terminators, maybe some Custodes and Sisters of Silence but I really don't care for the MkIII Iron armour Space Marines, at least not in any army I'm currently collecting. 

No comments: