Tuesday 6 February 2018

Painting white, me eternal nemesis


I do like a good off-pallette colour scheme and one of the things I was looking forward to from the Adeptus Custodes codex was some good alternate colour schemes. Naturally, the one that grabbed me the most was the one almost guaranteed to drive me mad attempting it, the Custodians of the Solar Watch...
White armour has this seductive quality. It looks so good in pictures and the contrast in this particular scheme with the shining gold of the Stormcast-themed paints really brings it out, not to mention the nice pop of the few red elements scattered around the armour.

I have to try this. I'm going to try this. I don't want a Custodes army per se but they would make a nice patrol detachment to slot onto the side of my Black Templars (another reason to go with a white scheme, it'll make a nice distinction from the main force).

I bought the new special character to test the scheme out on for the simple reason that trying to paint an entire squad will just be depressing. Instant results are not a thing in miniature painting but if I can keep momentum going and get the model done, even if its not perfect, that'll be easier than slowly working through a five man squad will just get dispiriting. A single model will work up from Celestra Grey to White Scars highlight a lot quicker.

I did manage an almost consistent white on some Black Templars shoulder pads a couple of months ago so, who knows? Maybe this is the time it'll look good on an entire model.

A man can dream...

No comments: