Sunday 21 May 2017

Dark Souls and me part 2: Liar Ahead

I'm slowly making my way through that castle in the Forest Of Fallen Giants and in the course of my explorations I met Pate. That is to say, I almost killed Pate because I mistook him for one of those Hollow Soldiers who lie around and lurch up the moment you turn your back to them.

Luckily, he had rather a lot of health so by the time I was four vicious shortsword slashes in he calmly tells me “Now stop that.”. After that, I honestly can't blame him for sending me into a trap which, in fairness, he did warn me about and gave me a soapstone when I got out.

I also have to say that I adore the flavour text that accompanies items you pick up. My current shield is a Crimson Parma, which is described thusly:

A standard wooden shield. The fancy name and nifty paint are surely a merchant's efforts to make this very ordinary shield more attractive.”

I have a rubbish shield and instead of trying to sell it as “starting gear” or something, the game is pleasingly upfront about the fact that I have picked up a rubbish shield. What's more, its a rubbish shield that some merchant once had to try to sell hence the rather charming red and white paint job. Its the sort of world building that makes the place feel lived in, somewhat ironically. 

No comments: