Thursday 8 August 2013

Tomb it may concern (Tomb Kings army list)

Now I've started making definite progress on the Tomb Kings I thought it was about time I put together an army list. The battalion I'm working on will form the core of the force, as to the rest I already have some random character models to paint and the rest of the army will comprise whatever else I think looks pretty (yep, that sort of hobbyist).

Lords
King Amanhotep the Intolerant Tomb King armed with great weapon and wearing the Armour of Silvered Steel. Army General. 221 points

Heroes
Liche Priest, Level 2 Wizard riding a Skeletal Steed. Army Hierophant using the Lore of Nehelhara. 115 points
Liche Priest, Level 1 Wizard using the Lore of Nehekhara. 70 points
Liche Priest, Level 1 Wizard using the Lore of Death. 70 points
Tomb Herald armed with hand weapon, wearing light armour and riding a Skeletal Steed. Battle Standard Bearer carrying the Razor Standard. 140 points

Core
30 Skeleton Warriors armed with spears and shields and wearing light armour with full command. 210 points
30 Skeleton Warriors armed with spears and shields and wearing light armour with full command. 210 points
10 Skeleton Horsemen armed with hand weapons, spears and shields and wearing light armour with full command. 160 points
5 Skeleton Horse Archers armed with hand weapons and bows with Master of Scouts. 80 points
3 Skeleton Chariots armed with spears and bows with full command. 195 points

Special
20 Tomb Guard armed with halberds and shields and wearing light armour including full command. 290 points
3 Sepulchral Stalkers armed with halberds. 165 points
3 Ushabti armed with hand weapons and great weapons with Ushabti Ancient. 160 points
Tomb Scorpion. 85 points

Rare
Necrosphinx. 225 points

Total: 2396 points

If there's one guiding principle I can take from my Vampire Counts it's that Undead can never have too many wizards. Three wizards with four spells between them should be enough and I'll use the third to experiment with some of the other Lores available to the army.

One of my bedrock principles is to have lots of core choices (of which this list has five) and plenty of infantry, especially if the infantry is fragile like Skeleton Warriors. Two large blocks of thirty,in five ranks of six fits the bill nicely alongside a nice twenty-man Tomb Guard unit for Amanhotep to hide in.

The thing I like most about the army are the Animated Constructs so I've gone for a spread of my favourites: Tomb Scorpion, Sepulchral Stalkers, Ushabti and a Necrosphinx stomping to war alongside the massed infantry and cavalry.

On that subject I have gone for a cavalry-heavy core. I'm not sure how a cavalry force that can't match will work out but I can always swap out for something else if it doesn't work (of expand into an all-cavalry force if it does).

No comments: