Thursday 2 July 2015

Kaiju highlights


I've been getting into Mystery Science Theater 3000 recently, courtesy of Youtube since most of the series can't be released on DVD for legal reasons. Naturally, the first ones I watched were the Japanese monster movies. They did a couple of Godzilla flicks and ones with a sort of giant nuclear turtle called Gamera, who I hadn't previously heard of.

I've never been into kaiju films. The 90s Godzilla film did a very bad job of relaunching the genre for my generation. I think I saw one Godzilla movie at 3am during a sleepover when I was a teenager but I don't remember any of the details.

Anyway, the reason for today's post is to enthuse about my favourite kaiju so far: Guiron.
He slices! He dices!
Yes, his nose is a knife. There's even a scene where he defeats another kaiju called Gaos and proceeds to cut Gaos into (bloodless) slices using his nose-knife. Naturally, Joel and the 'bots have a lot of fun with that scene. I just l've the design: an iguana with a head-mounted knife. Even better, that circle on his nose? That opens to reveal shurikens that he can fling at other monsters!

Between this and the ending to Godzilla vs. Megalon which devolves into, I kid you not, kaiju tag team wrestling, I am beginning to think I should look deeper into this genre. 

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 is simply one of life's joys. My personal favorite is "The Brain that wouldn't Die"

I also like Mike better than Joel, and love Tom Servo.

But I have to admit, your movie looks fantastic!

James Ashelford said...

My favourite so far (and I favour Joel over Mike but Pearl Forrester's Mads over Clayton Forrester and TV's Frank) is the completely incoherent The Killer Robot Versus The Aztec Mummy.